2016 was a year to remember for the Indian job market – there were considerable layoffs, IT and ITES – the fastest growing sectors – faced a slowdown, demonetisation affected real estate, ecommerce, weddings, SMEs and other businesses running on cash payments. As per a report in Indian Express, “in 2016, salaries were projected to rise by 10.8 per cent, but in reality rose just by 10 per cent. This was for the second time, since 2015, that the actual increase was lower than the projected. If that pattern continues in 2017, Indian employees could see a single digit salary increase for the first time since 2011.”
Below are the top trends for your career in 2017:
1. Evolving Startup Jobs – The massive hiring by deep-pocketed, multi-billion dollar valued ecommerce startups has stalled. As ecommerce companies take a step back and prioritise consolidation and profitability, expect them to trim jobs.
2. Automation will change every job – Though large-scale loss in jobs due to automation is unlikely, it is safe to say that most jobs will change in some way. According to Glassdoor, the jobs that will be most affected by automation are routine jobs that need to be done the same way and that don’t require much flexibility or much creative judgment.
3. How do you ‘fit in’ – Gone are the days when companies could lure you in with just a fat pay package and perks. Employers realise that if you are not happy or engaged with the work, it does not bode well for them. Hence, they are actively looking to employ people that fit in culturally, which will enable you to be happier and more productive.
4. Realising the limits of the ‘gig’ economy – Though platforms like Uber, Ola, Airbnb, UrbanClap are highly visible, we have to understand that they form only a small part of the economy. Using ‘gig’ or contract workers has its advantages versus traditional employment but now, the fastest growing jobs are where human creativity, flexibility and judgment are required.
The job market is transforming rapidly, becoming more flexible, transparent and focused on skills than ever before. While such a scenario sparks apprehension amongst job seekers, it also presents tremendous opportunities.
Courses at Pearl Academy
Pearl Academy offers a plethora of creative courses across fashion, graphic design, journalism and related fields. The admissions for 2017 are now open, and the last date of submitting your application is 17th April 2017. 200 students across India stand to win a scholarship.
The various scholarships are listed below:
For new students:
1. MERIT SCHOLARSHIP (for top performers in the entrance test and interview) – There will be 200 such scholarships available to students enrolling for UG Pathway courses and students can get up to 50% waiver on their tuition fee for the 1st year. Deserving students can continue to get the scholarship under Merit Scholarship (Existing Students) scheme.
2. MERIT-CUM-MEANS SCHOLARSHIP – This provides a partial waiver of tuition fee to a maximum of 10% of new entrants.
For existing students:
1. MERIT SCHOLARSHIP (COURSE TOPPERS) – This will be awarded annually to students who have topped (1st rank) their respective cohorts.
2. INDUSTRY SCHOLARSHIP – Sponsored by reputed companies, this is for deserving students enrolled in regular UG/PG/MA Programs, who lack adequate financial means but have demonstrated a strong academic performance.
To know more, visit to www.pearlacademy.com